Ductwork Services In Ocean Isle Beach, Holden Beach, NC, North Myrtle Beach, Little River, SC, and the Surrounding Areas
Kool Freeze Heating & Cooling conducts duct leakage testing with duct blaster testing. This allows us to determine if a leaky duct system is an issue within a home. Duct leakage can increase heating and cooling costs by over 30% and contribute to comfort, health, and safety problems. Most of our duct blaster testing is for new construction or for more in-depth home energy audits of existing homes, along with air leakage testing.
The Importance of Properly-Functioning Ductwork
Although most homeowners would not tolerate a leaky plumbing fixture, many homes are negatively affected by poorly-sealed ductwork. Despite its importance to the overall functioning of a heating and cooling system, duct systems are often overlooked and underappreciated. As the backbone of an HVAC system, their function is imperative to an efficient heating and cooling system. Duct testing provides quantifiable information about the performance of the ductwork, and if leaking ductwork is hindering the energy efficiency of the home.
How The Duct Blaster Works
A duct blaster combines a small fan and a pressure gauge to pressurize a home’s duct system and accurately measure air leakage of the ductwork. This test is similar to a pressure test of a plumbing system.
Here’s how the test works:
- A duct blaster is used to directly pressure test the duct system for air leaks, in much the same way a plumber pressure tests water pipes for leaks.
- The duct blaster fan is first connected to the duct system at the air handler cabinet or a return grill. After temporarily sealing all remaining registers and grills, the duct blaster fan is turned on to force air through all holes and cracks in the ductwork.
- The fan speed is increased until standard test pressure is achieved in the duct system. A precise leakage measurement is then made using an airflow and pressure gauge connected to the duct blaster system.
Duct Blaster Testing with Kool Freeze Heating & Cooling
Kool Freeze Heating & Cooling is a locally-owned and operated company with many years of experience. We have extensive experience boosting home energy efficiency for lower energy bills and greater home comfort. We have the know-how to perform your duct blaster test and attend regular training to stay on the cutting edge of industry knowledge.
Ready to schedule a duct blaster test? Give us a call today to get started!
- Leaks in the supply ductwork cause the expensive conditioned air to be dumped into the attic, crawlspace or garage instead of into the house
- Return leaks pull outside air (hot in summer, cold in winter) into the duct system reducing both efficiency and capacity. In humid climates, moist air being drawn into return leaks can overwhelm the dehumidification capacity of air conditioning systems causing homes to feel clammy even when the air conditioner is running
- Heat pumps are particularly susceptible to comfort complaints from duct leakage, especially during the heating season. Duct leaks can cause the air coming from heat pumps to feel lukewarm or even cold during the winter. In addition, leaky ductwork has been found to greatly increase the use of electric strip heaters in heat pumps during the heating season
- Leaks in return ductwork draw air into the house from crawlspaces, garages, and attics bringing with it dust, mold spores, insulation fibers, and other contaminants
- Household depressurization from duct leaks and imbalanced duct systems can cause spillage of combustion products (from furnaces, water heaters, and fireplaces) into the house